Tuesday, September 7, 2010

all i want is a room somewhere.

Well, actually that's not "all I want." The other day I saw something on Design*Sponge that I loved. I thought to myself, "I must go back later and post a link to this on my house blog." Well guess what, I forgot, and now I can't remember what it was. I mostly love everything on there.

Instead I'm going to share a list of "wants" for our future house:

  • I want it to be easy to clean. The floors (and counters!) in our current home have lots of ridges, including wide grout lines, and I strongly dislike trying to clean the gunk out of said ridges. Grout lines are difficult to sweep and mop. I want our future house to be so easy to clean that I'll actually want to do it. If anyone has suggestions for how to do this, please leave them in the comments section.
  • I want our future house to be tight. There are environmental and economic reasons for this (tight house means less leakage in and out of cold/hot air) but those are not my main reasons. I don't want to feel like I'm camping in our future house, meaning no giant caterpillars, no big spiders, no earwigs in the microwave, and no mice. Period. I want it to be so tight that these suckers cannot get in.
  • I want to have storage. I want things to have a place. Somewhere for the wrapping paper, somewhere for the food storage, somewhere for the coats. I want to be able to easily put things away.
Those are the main points on my mind right now (mostly because we have had multiple critter encounters in our current house to the point that I'm ready to move in with the parents).

2 comments:

  1. Linoleum is sustainable and smooth and comes in lots of nifty colors. Glenny's Ph.D. advisor had a red linoleum kitchen floor that was fabulous. New wood flooring is also pretty smooth though (as opposed to my old hardwood which has crevices, yuck). Finally, I adore the mottled brown tile with dark brown grout in my kitchen. Not smooth, granted. But if you never mop, no one ever knows!

    A basement storage room covers a multitude of sins, also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY second the feeling of no caterpillars, no spiders (big or small), no earwigs (crawling on the ceiling above my head in our bedroom), no mice (acting like Santa Claus and eating cookies off our counter)and add: no pill bugs, no centipedes, no crunchy millipedes - these things adorn our home like a layer of dust - SICK OF IT!

    ReplyDelete